I made this pandan layer cake in conjunction with Mother's Day. I intended to make this cake on last Wednesday so that I can bring back to Tangkak on 1 May and another on Saturday to bring back to Klang during the weekend. We had early celebration of Mother's Day for my MIL. However, I couldn't find the time to make it. I was really very busy. Normally week day would be very pack for me. There are so many things to do in so little time. So in the end, I only manage to squeeze in some time to make this cake on last Saturday. Luckily it turn out well. Mum loves this. My MIL would have love this too, I think. I will make for her another time then. This recipe is a sure keeper. The sweetness is just right as is the texture.
I adapted the recipe for this cake from here. You may refer to the link for the original recipe. Below is my adapted/modified version of the recipe.
Pandan Layer Cake
Ingredients:
Chiffon cake layer:
A
4 egg yolks
30g sugar
60ml milk
60ml corn oil
25ml pandan juice extract*
90g Hong Kong flour
B
Method:
1. Whip B till stiff peak. Make sure that all utensils used for whipping are free of oil and egg yolks.
2. Cream egg yolks with sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Mix in milk, corn oil and pandan juice.
4. Gradually mix in the flour.
5. Gently fold in 1/2 of the whipped egg whites and mix well. Then fold in the remaining whipped egg whites and mix.
6. Preheat the oven at 160ยบ C for 5 minutes.
7. Pour the cake batter into 7" round cake tin and bake at 160C for 35 minutes.(If you do not prefer a very tall cake, 8" cake tin should be fine. I used 8"×8" square pan)
8. Cool the cake and slice the cake into 2 or 3 layers up to your preference. Set aside for assembling later on.
Pandan jelly layer:
Method:
Pandan Layer Cake
Ingredients:
Chiffon cake layer:
A
4 egg yolks
30g sugar
60ml milk
60ml corn oil
25ml pandan juice extract*
90g Hong Kong flour
B
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
50g sugar
Method:
1. Whip B till stiff peak. Make sure that all utensils used for whipping are free of oil and egg yolks.
2. Cream egg yolks with sugar until pale and fluffy.
3. Mix in milk, corn oil and pandan juice.
4. Gradually mix in the flour.
5. Gently fold in 1/2 of the whipped egg whites and mix well. Then fold in the remaining whipped egg whites and mix.
6. Preheat the oven at 160ยบ C for 5 minutes.
7. Pour the cake batter into 7" round cake tin and bake at 160C for 35 minutes.(If you do not prefer a very tall cake, 8" cake tin should be fine. I used 8"×8" square pan)
8. Cool the cake and slice the cake into 2 or 3 layers up to your preference. Set aside for assembling later on.
Pandan jelly layer:
A
350ml water
100g - 110g sugar
7g agar-agar powder
B
250ml coconut milk extract
100ml pandan juice extract*
C
85g Hoen kwe flour (Indonesia green pea flour)
300ml water
Method:
1. Mix C till it is thoroughly mixed and no lumps.
2. Bring A to boil and stir in C. Keep stirring till the mixture thicken to ensure smoothness.
3. Once the mixture thicken, add in B. Stir till the mixture bubble up (boiled).
4. Let the mixture cool a bit before assembling. Don't wait too long or else the mixture will set.
Assembling of cake:
1. Scoop 3 ladles of the jelly mixture onto a one size larger cake tin/pan used to bake the chiffon cake layer. If 7" cake tin is used to bake the chiffon cake, use a 8" cake tin for assembling.
2. Place a slice of chiffon cake layer on top of the jelly mixture.
3. Repeat the steps till both the cake slices and jelly mixture is used up. The last layer should be jelly layer.
4. Let it set and keep refrigerated.
5. To serve, loosen the sides and invert the cake upside down. It should be able to slide out easily.
* I blended 11 pieces of long big pandan leaves with 100ml boiled water at room temperature to get 125 ml pandan juice extract.



0 love(s):
Post a Comment