I had on 28/3/2014 started brining my first batch of salted eggs. I resorted to brine my own salted eggs because everytime I buy salted eggs, they are rotten. I have not successfully bought salted eggs that are edible except for only 1 time many years back. All were rotten.
This particular recipe that I used produced quite impressive salted eggs. The additions of star anise and Sichuan peppercorns make the egg yolks quite aromatic. Normally duck eggs are used in the brining of salted eggs. However, I used chicken eggs. From my reading, I understand that duck egg will produce better salted eggs. Nevertheless, I personally do not feel that chicken eggs are inferior to duck eggs. They can be an alternative to duck eggs.
The recipe is as follows:
Ingredients :
12 eggs (I used chicken eggs)
4 cups water
1 cup sea salt/ rock salt (I used coarse salt)
1 star anise
2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
Method:
1. Wash and clean each of the eggs. Check to ensure that there are no cracks on the eggs.
2. Drain and gently wipe dry the eggs.
3. Boil water with salt in a saucepan. Add in star anise and Sichuan peppercorns. Once boiled and the salt has completely melted/dissolved, turn off the heat.
4. Let the solution cool off completely.
5. Add Shaoxing wine into the solution and stir to mix well.
6. Get ready a clean dry glass jar. Place the eggs into the glass jar and pour in the completely cool brine solutions.
7. Ensure that all the eggs are completely submerge in the solution. Use a saucer or any suitable item to place on top of the eggs in case there are eggs that float to the surface.
8. Carefully close and tighten the lid.
9. Place the jar in a cool dry place in the pantry for 30 to 40 days.
10. After 30 days, take 1 egg out and test. If they are ready, remove all the remaining eggs from the jar and drain them.
11. If the eggs are not salty enough, brine them for few more days.
12. The eggs can be kept in the fridge for few weeks.
Source: Christine's Recipe
Note: Next time I will reduce the amount of salt used as I feel that it is a bit far salty to my liking although hubby feel that the quantum of saltiness is normal for a salted egg and dear sister feel that its saltiness is just right.
8. Carefully close and tighten the lid.
9. Place the jar in a cool dry place in the pantry for 30 to 40 days.
10. After 30 days, take 1 egg out and test. If they are ready, remove all the remaining eggs from the jar and drain them.
11. If the eggs are not salty enough, brine them for few more days.
12. The eggs can be kept in the fridge for few weeks.
Source: Christine's Recipe
Note: Next time I will reduce the amount of salt used as I feel that it is a bit far salty to my liking although hubby feel that the quantum of saltiness is normal for a salted egg and dear sister feel that its saltiness is just right.




0 love(s):
Post a Comment