I have not made any jelly mooncakes after my first attempt until last Saturday. My first attempt was very successful. So, I planned to make some other varieties meant to be given out as gifts. I had actually planned to make 2 varieties on Saturday night after the wedding dinner that I have to attend. I attended a wedding dinner a week before that and the dinner ended around 9.30pm. So, I thought this week would also be the same. But I am in for disaster when the dinner proceeded at a very slow pace. After 1 hour, we had only had 3 dishes and the 3rd dish has not been served at all tables. The dinner finally ended at around 11.30pm and we reached home at almost 12am. Nevertheless, I still have to make my jelly mooncakes to ensure that they would be ready by Sunday morning as I have promised Yvonne that she will get to eat my jelly mooncake. All thing done in a rush will not get good result.... The 2 varieties that I made was not as good as the first jelly mooncake that I made.
Milo-cheese jelly mooncake with mock egg yolk
Milo-cheese jelly mooncake
I made milo-cheese jelly mooncake and pandan-red bean jelly mooncake. I only ended up giving out the pandan-red bean jelly mooncake as the milo-cheese jelly mooncakes are not in good shapes. However, tastewise, they are much better than the pandan-red bean jelly mooncake. Since I created all the jelly mooncakes myself, I envisioned the pandan-red bean jelly mooncakes to have a shade of green for pandan skin and shade of pink for the red bean fillings. But I only ended up correct with the green colour whereas the red bean fillings had a red-brownish tinge. It does not look as pretty as it should be.... I thought by adding milk to the red bean jelly solution would create a pinkish colour but boy, how wrong am I.... Not only the colour, the taste is also not that strong. I initially wanted to add coconut milk to the pandan jelly solution but I am afraid that they will be spoilt during "delivery". So, I used milk instead. I believe the taste would be better if I have used coconut milk. As for the red bean jelly, I have only boiled the red bean for a while as it was already midnight. So, the red bean was not very soft and the taste of red bean is not strong. I had initially wanted to boil a pot of red bean soup for dessert and use some to make the jelly mooncake but I do not have enough time. So, I ended up boiling just enough for making the jelly mooncake. If I have boiled the red bean soup for longer, the taste would have been stronger and the red bean would have been softer.
Pandan-red bean jelly mooncake with mock egg yolk
Red bean jelly filling
Yesterday, I made another batch of jelly mooncake. The skin is very creamy as I added in a lot of whipping cream. I bought a box of 200ml whipping cream to be used in my previous snowskin cheese mooncake. I still have about 140ml and since they need to be used within 3 days of opening, I just emptied the whole box into making the skin of this mango jelly mooncake. I made the mango puree for the mooncake skin from 1 medium sized mango while reserving some to be cubed. The cubed mango was added to the yoghurt jelly solution. These are indeed very tasty and creamy. I think Aunty Yochana has created a similar mooncake. I did not refer to her recipe as there were a lot of ingredients involved. Mine was just as simple as it can be. The colour is also very nice. It has a pastel yellow colour. I did not add any artificial colouring.
Mango yoghurt jelly mooncake
Yoghurt jelly with cubed mango
2 love(s):
wow u are making lots of mooncakes! who are they for?
Just for some friends and family members as well as own consumption...
Post a Comment