Thursday, September 24, 2009

White Snowskin Mooncake with Red Bean Filling








Yesterday I embarked on my maiden attempt in making snowskin mooncake. This batch of mooncake is essentially made from scratch. I even made the red bean paste filling myself. And the result is just heavenly..... I am actually quite impressed with the result since this is just the trial run of my mooncake project :D
:)
I made the red bean paste using about 250g of red bean. I soaked the red bean overnight and boiled it the next morning. After boiling, I tried to remove the husk one by one. I think nobody do this except for me! I gave up after slightly more than one hour as this is too time consuming. So, I boiled it again until soft. Then I use the method that I think most of the people uses. I mashed the soft cooked red bean through a sieve to get a paste. But this is also very time consuming. In the end, I just put everything into a blender and processed it into a puree. This is so convenient.... This is a low sugar bean paste. If you have a sweet tooth, this is definitely not for you. Actually the lower sugar content is to cater to my MIL. The appearance of the cooked bean paste is also not as glossy as those store-bought paste. I uses very little oil to cook this bean paste. This is definitely a healthier version of mooncake.

Red bean paste before cooking

Red bean paste after cooking

I managed to make 12 mini snowskin mooncakes from the recipe that I obtained from Kuali.com. I had adjusted the recipe a bit. I used icing sugar instead of castor sugar and as such, I don't need to boil them. I also used fresh milk to replace evaporated milk and I omitted the banana essence. Actually, I halved the original recipe. You can get the original recipe from here.

1 love(s):

Chiu Pin Teo said...

they look marvelous :)

 

Reflection of Life... © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner