Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Marbled Snowskin Mooncake with Red Bean Paste Filling





I made 2 batches of snowskin mooncake on Friday. The first batch that I made on that day was the pandan snowskin mooncake with pandan lotus paste filling. I only started to make this natural coloured marbled snowskin mooncake at around 9.30pm as I have to attend a buffet dinner organised by my neighbour who is getting married the next day. So, I ended up working on the mooncake till very late at night. Although I feel tired making the mooncake, the satisfaction I got from it is definitely worth the effort that I have to put in.
:)
I have used similar recipe that I used in all my previous snowskin mooncake. The only difference is that I divided the ingredients into 3 portions. If I were to use artificial colouring, it would be much easier. I just need to work up on the dough and then divide the dough into 3 portions before adding the colourings into each portions. Hubby is totally against artificial colouring and as for me, I am not a fan of artificial colourings either. So, for the white portion, I used plain water, whereas for green and yellow coloured portion, I used pandan juice and carrot juice which I extracted earlier the day.The total amount of liquid used is still the same as the previous recipe. The difference is just the type of liquid used.
:)
After kneading each of the 3 portions, I flatten and stacked the 3 portions on top of each other. Then, I rolled them up like rolling a Swiss-roll. Subsequently, I cut them out based on the weight that I need for making the individual mooncakes.
Pre-cut mooncake dough
As for the filling, I used the store-bought red bean paste in which I have embedded in the pre-baked melon seeds.
:)
I managed to make about 12 mini mooncakes and 4 standard sized mooncakes. I still have some leftover red bean paste fillings to make 4 standard sized mooncakes.

Red bean paste shaped into balls to be used as filling for mooncake

3 love(s):

Unknown said...

u r really amazing...

pik lay said...

why is that your red paste balls all of different shapes?

Where do you get the plastic container to place your mooncake in, you bought that?

Anyway, your product seems great. You can try selling to neighbours. Too bad I can't taste it this year. If you bring enough to mom, she maybe will keep till November for me to eat... haha

Doryn Teo said...

Thanks for both of ur comments...

Pik Lay: There are 2 diff sizes of red bean paste as I made mini sized as well as standard sized mooncakes. For standard size, I weigh each ball at 100g whereas for mini sized mooncakes, I weigh them at 30g each. Yup, I bought the plastic containers. Initially, I wanted to buy the cardboard box type which comes with plastic container inside but I later changed my mind and purchase the plastic container that comes with plastic cover which is a little bit more expensive. I think they are easier to be kept in the fridge than the cardboard type.

I do give out to neighbours but I am not selling them. I'm never good at selling things. Moreover, I feel weird selling them especially to neighbours.

These are homemade mooncakes. They can't be kept for too long....

 

Reflection of Life... © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner