Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Caramel Popcorn



I saw a post on caramel popcorn 1 or 2 weeks back and I was so tempted to try making it at home. I never know making popcorn can be so easy.  I wasn't expecting the end product to be so much. I know when the corn kernels popped, it would definitely expand and looks more but I never expect it to be sooooo much more. If you have a small oven,  I think it is better to halve the recipe. Seriously, this is a lot .....










Caramel Popcorn

Ingredients:

300g corn kernels
6 tbsp corn oil

300 g sugar
110g unsalted butter
1/4 tsp fine salt
150 ml water

Method:

1. Heat the corn oil in the wok on medium flame. Coat the whole wok with the oil.

2. Add in the corn kernels.

3. Stir till the corn kernels start to expand. This should take just a while. Turn to low heat.

4. When the kernels start to pop, cover the wok with a lid. You would hear lots of popping and crackling sound.

5. Try to move the wok from side to side to prevent the popcorn at the bottom of the wok from burning. 

6. Once the popping sound slow down,  open the lid.

7. Off the heat and transfer to a baking pan lined with baking sheet. Scoop out instead of pour out as the unpopped kernels will be at the bottom of the wok. Discard the unpopped kernels.

8. Cook the sugar in a wok till it melted and turn golden in colour.

9. Add in butter, salt and water.

10. Continue to cook till it is a bit thicken and turn into caramel.

11. Off the heat and let the caramel cool down a bit. Then drizzle it over the popcorn and toss using a spoon. Ensure that all the popcorns are coated with the caramel.

12. Bake in preheated oven at 150ÂșC for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and stir using a spoon. Pop the pan into the oven again and bake for another 15 minutes.

13. Once done, remove from oven and stir again.

14. Let it cool before storing in air-tight container.

Note: The purpose of the baking is to ensure the crispiness of the popcorn.


0 love(s):

 

Reflection of Life... © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner