I have been wanting to make muah chee for quite sometime. I am happy as the timing is just right. Mum and dad as well as Hong and Yvonne's visit presented me with a perfect occasion to make these snacks.
Dearest hubby will just eat one or two pieces as it contain peanuts. He is of the belief that peanuts promote phlegm. This is also the reason why he doesn't really let the kids eat any food that contain peanuts. So, the most the kids get to eat is also one piece. We definitely won't be able to finish the muah chee on our own without any "serious eater around". If I want to make any mua chee, it would be now or else I would need to wait much longer for their next visit ;-)
So, what is muah chee? Muah chee is a type of snacks with sticky dough made from glutinous rice flour, coated with toasted ground peanuts and sugar and sometimes sesame seeds.
It is not difficult to make muah chee. There are many methods available. Using microwave would be the easiest way. Or else you can choose to steam it or cook it over the flame. I chose the longest way, which is steaming. This is one of the traditional method of making muah chee.
I referred to here for the steamed cake recipe whereas the recipe for the peanut coating is my own interpretation. After steaming, I thought that the steamed dough will be too sticky as it did look very sticky and gooey. However, after it cooled down, it looks just right and workable. I am truly amazed with the result. It has a surprisingly QQ texture as opposed to what I imagined it to be, looking at its initial outlook just after steaming.
Muah Chee
Ingredients for the steamed cake:
250g glutinous rice flour
3 tbsp sugar
375g water
Ingredients for Peanut Coating:
100g toasted peanuts, finely ground
30g toasted sesame seeds
50g sugar
20g butter
Method:
1. Thoroughly mix the ingredients for peanut coating and set aside.
2. Grease an 8 inches square cake tin.
3. Steam the greased cake tin over high heat.
4. Mix the flour with sugar and gradually add water to it. Mix well.
5. When batter is smooth, pour it into the prepared cake tin and steam over medium low heat for 40 minutes.
6. Leave to cool.
7. Once cool down, grease a tablespoon and scoop up a piece of dough and drop it on the peanut mixture. Coat well.



0 love(s):
Post a Comment