Thursday, August 21, 2014

Family Trip to Sabah (3rd Day)

There is a very famous street market in Gaya Street which only open on Sundays. I originally intended to include this in my itinerary. But when I checked with dear hubby, he seems not interested. So I crossed it off my list. Then few days before our departure to Sabah, hubby asked me whether there is any local market in Sabah which is similar to those night market in Taiwan where one can sample their local lifestyles and delicacies. I told him there is a famous morning market in Gaya Street that I told him before but he didn't show any interest when I proposed to include it in our itinerary. He changed his mind and think that we should include it in. However, in the end I forgot to edit my itinerary to include in this Gaya Street Sunday market.

If we are going to the Gaya Street market, we should wake up earlier so that we have enough time for our island hopping activities which I have planned for Sunday. Although not in the itinerary that I printed out, I still remember that we will be visiting the Gaya Street when we reached Sabah. But I somehow forgotten all about it the night before and ended up waking up late. I only remembered back that we are supposed to go to the market when we were waiting for our boat to Mamutik Island. So, there go our chance to experience the culture and ordinary daily life of the people of Sabah.

On our third day here, we spent longer time to get ready in the morning and only had our breakfast around 9.30am. We had Roti Kahwin, which is bread with butter and kaya spread, accompanied by Milo and "Teh Si" at Kedai Kopi Fu Yuan in Damai. I don't really fancy tea but I read of good review of the "Teh Si Peng" here, hence decided to try it. We do not have the habit of drinking cold drink in the morning due to health concern, so we ordered "Teh Si" instead of "Teh Si Peng". The Roti Kahwin was nice but not out-of-the-world kind of nice.  As for the "Teh Si", the taste was strong.



We bought food to be brought over to the island as lunch as there is limited or no choice of food in the islands. This was what I read from all the reviews. We then drove to Jesselton Point where we parked our car and went in to buy our tickets to the islands in the Tunku Abdul Rahman Marine Park. This Marine Park consists of a cluster of 5 islands, namely, Gaya, Sapi, Manukan, Mamutik and Sulug. Our plan was to go to 3 of the islands. However, since it was already quite late when we reached the jetty, we were only able to choose two islands. We chose Mamutik and Sapi.

Selfie while waiting for our boat
That was the first time for me and the girls to be in a speed boat. The boat ride was very exciting and fast. Sometime, it bounced very hard especially if it hit something in the water. We first went to Mamutik island. The water is crystal clear there. I could see thousands of tiny little fish swimming in the water. It was a fun-filled day for us to enjoy the sun, sea and water.










After we had our lunch, we quickly packed and got ready to hop to the next island, the Sapi island. We did not swim in Sapi island but just sat and lazied around while the girls played with sand.













We took some photos at the jetty on the way back to our car.



For dinner, we drove to Gaya Street and had our dinner at Yamagoya Ramen. 



Black Garlic Ramen

Nori Seaweed Ramen

Spicy Tobanjan Ramen

Mukashi Special Ramen



After dinner, we went to a shop selling Sabah's local food products which is located few doors away from Yamagoya Ramen. I couldn't remember what is the name of the shop. There, we ordered a cup of Durian Ice. Thereafter, we drove to Filipino market to buy the Tarap fruit. It looks a bit like jackfruit. Tarap is another must-try fruit when visiting Sabah as this is also a fruit which is native to Borneo. We brought the fruit back to Klang and shared it with other family members.



0 love(s):

 

Reflection of Life... © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner