After postponing my plan to make patterned swissroll for few weeks, I had finally made it last Saturday. The craze for patterned swissroll or deco roll actually started few years back. I had wanted to try my hands on making these cuties then but I have no confidence in pulling it through. So I waited and waited till one fine day when my courange manage to crawl back to me. Phew! Finally .
It is actually quite simple to make this roll. It is not as hard as I imagined it would be. There are basically a few ways to make this roll. Whatever the method is, it involved letting the pattern set before pouring over the rest of the cake batter. The first method would be by piping the pattern and let it set in the freezer before pouring in the cake batter. The other method which I am using is by piping the pattern and pop it into the oven for 2 minutes for it to set and then only pouring in the rest of the batter. I guessed this method is better in our hot tropical weather.
I did not prepare a different paste/batter for the deco/pattern as what most people do. I just scooped out few tablespoons of my base cake batter and tint it with the colours that I need. As I don't use artificial colouring, I sticked to using the only natural tint that I have on hand; cocoa powder and red yeast rice powder. Considering that this is my first attempt, I think I fare quite well, haven't I?
Swissroll Sponge Cake Base & Deco
Ingredients:
60g corn oil
60g full cream milk
24g caster sugar
102g low protein flour
4 egg whites (grade A)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
70g caster sugar
Method:
1. Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar till foamy.
2. Add in caster sugar and whisk till stiff peak.
3. In another bowl, cream egg yolk with sugar till pale.
4. Add in corn oil and milk. Stir well to combine.
5. Fold in flour.
6. Gently fold in 1/3 of the egg white mixture. Lightly fold in the rest of the egg white mixture till just combined.
7. Scoop out 3 tablespoon of the batter into a clean bowl. Add 1 tsp of red yeast rice powder into the batter. Lightly mix well.
8. Pipe the round shape using the pink batter onto the lined 16" x 13" tray.
9. Add in 1/2 tsp of cocoa powder to the remaining pink batter and mix well. Pipe the stick onto the lined tray using the cocoa batter.
10. Pop the tray into the preheated oven for 2 minutes at 150ºC.
11. Remove from oven and spread the rest of the cake batter over the piped pattern.
12. Gently tap the tray on a hard surface a couple of times.
13. Pop it back into the oven for another 25 minutes at 150ºC to 160ºC.
14. Remove from oven and turn it onto a new piece of baking/parchment paper.
15. Slowly peel off the attached baking paper from the cake. Place another sheet of baking paper over the cake and slowly invert the cake again. The pattern should be at the bottom now.
16. Loosely pre-roll the cake to stretch it.
For the filling, I prepared Swiss Meringue Buttercream, which I adapted from here and halve it. I don't fancy buttercream as it is too sweet to my liking. Therefore I tried my hands at making Swiss Meringue Buttercream as I thought it would't be so sweet. It is not as sweet as the normal buttercream but is still too sweet for my palate. I wonder whether I can reduce the amount of sugar used? Would it affect its texture?
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Ingredients:
50g egg whites
82g caster sugar
112g unsalted butter at room temperature
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
Method:
1. Add egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl, placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water.
2. Whisk constantly till it reached 70ºC.
3. Transfer the egg mixture into mixer bowl.
4. Using the whisk attachment, whisk on high speed to stiff peak (stiff and glossy).
5.Switch to paddle attachment and add the cubes of butter piece by piece on medium speed. Beat well in each addition. Once all butter are added, beat on high speed till it become fluffy and silky.
6. Add vanilla essence and beat again to incorporate.
To assemble:
1. Spread the Swiss Meringue Buttercream evenly over the cake.
2. Roll it up tightly and wrap with clean parchment paper/cling wrap.
3. Chill in the fridge before serving.







0 love(s):
Post a Comment