Personally out of all the mooncakes, I love jelly mooncake the most. Jelly mooncakes are not the typical mooncakes with baked pastries skin and lotus paste filling. Over time, the traditional mooncake's filling has diversified to just about anything you can think of. Not only does the filling has more and more varieties. The same goes to its crust/skin. Instead of only the traditional baked skin/crust, now we have snowskin, mochi, melted chocolate and jelly. Even the baked mooncake crust also has many variants in terms of colour and flavour.
Out of all the type of mooncakes that I have targeted to make, I have successfully made all except for one, which is the ice-cream mooncake. I wish I have more time so that I can attempt this mooncake. Theoretically, it seems easy. Hopefully, it will be as easy to make as it seems. We will know in due time .... hmmm .... next year.
When I wanted to make this jelly mooncake, I tried to refer back to my previous posts on jelly mooncake. To my disappointment, I realised that I did not note down any recipe. So, I have to make all the calculation all over again. Food-making is actually also a type of science. Don't be surprise if I tell you that I always have to have a calculator with me when I make cakes, kuehs, pastries, ice-cream and the like. As for this jelly mooncake, I have to calculate how much content can each of the mould hold and the height of the filling so that I would not have any wastage at all. After calculating that, I have to calculate how much agar-agar powder to use. The mock egg yolk, filling and skin each have different ratio of agar-agar powder to liquid. Normally, I would prefer to make firmer skin as I would not want them to break so easily during handling. I also have to take into account fruit puree or any paste used. The sweetness level need to be considered as well.
The followings are the recipes I used:-
Mock Egg Yolk
Make a tray
Ingredients:
150 ml fresh carrot juice
30 g caster sugar
3/4 tsp agar-agar powder
1/2 tbsp full cream milk
Method:
1. Bring carrot juice, caster sugar and agar-agar powder to a boil.
2. Once boiled, remove from flame and stir in full cream milk.
3. Pour into lower case of ball shape ice-tray. Cover with upper case and leave aside to set.
4. Remove mock egg yolk from mould once set.
Red Bean Paste Filling
Make 6
Ingredients:
100 g red bean paste
170ml water
2 tbsp coconut milk
1/2 tbsp agar-agar powder
A pinch of salt
Method:
1. Bring water, red bean paste, agar-agar powder and salt to a boil. Add in coconut milk when the agar-agar solution is almost boiled.
2. Divide filling into 6 containers/ramekins. Drop 1 mock egg yolk each in the centre of the filling. Leave aside to set.
3. Un-mould once set.
Pandan Skin
Make 6
Ingredients:
4 - 5 pandan leaves
350 ml clean boiled water
2 tbsp coconut milk
1 1/2 tbsp condensed milk
1 tbsp agar-agar powder
30 g caster sugar
Method:
1. Blend pandan leaves with 40 ml water. Strain it into a measuring cup. The resulting liquid might have increased. If so, reduce the remaining 310 ml water so that the total liquid for this agar-agar solution is still 350ml.
2. Bring the 310ml water, agar-agar powder and caster sugar to a boil. Add in pandan juice, coconut milk and condensed milk. Remove from flame.
Assembling Jelly Mooncake:
1. Pour some agar-agar solution for the skin into the mould.
2. Once half-set, place a piece of filling in the centre of the mould. Top up with remaining agar-agar solution for skin up to the brim.
3. Leave aside to set.
4. Refrigerate and un-mould before serving.










0 love(s):
Post a Comment