Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Creamy Sauce Butter Crab











Last week I bought 2 huge crabs from Tesco. I used one of the crabs to make this creamy sauce butter crab. I have never made this dish before. I wanted to make something special rather than the normal crab dish that I always cook. So, I just went online to look for some special recipes that do not require much preparation time. The sites that I always go to when I needed recipes is kuali.com. So, this time around, I also went there to search for a recipe for the crab that will "ignite" my appetite. I have almost give up when I saw this recipe. It did not really attract me but I told myself to just give it a try.



It ends up quite nice although I feel that it is very filling and fattening due to the high content of milk and butter.


This is the exact recipe from kuali.com :


Ingredients


1.5kg crabs, preferably mud crabs
200g margarine
1 can evaporated milk
20–25g bird’s eye chillies (chilli padi), leave whole and lightly smashed
4 stalks curry leaves, use leaves only
Seasoning

1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
Thickening

1 tbsp corn flour mixed with 1½ tbsp water

Method


Clean crabs and poach them, then drain well. Remove the pincers and crack with a pestle. Trim the legs and cut each crab into four pieces. Set aside. Heat margarine in a wok until melted then add the milk. Gently simmer the mixture over a medium heat. Add the curry leaves, chilli padi and seasoning. Simmer for 10–15 minutes. Add thickening and stir gently over a very low heat until sauce is thick and glossy in texture. Return crabs to the mixture and cook over a very low heat for about 1 minute. Dish out the crabs with the curry leaves, chilli padi and a little of the sauce. Serve immediately.



2 love(s):

Chiu Pin Teo said...

the mud crabs look delicious. i thought of cooking something like this, but too much effort to eat, unlike shrimps which can be deskinned before cooking... anyway, your dish looks great :)

Doryn Teo said...

Actually I used flower crabs...I won't recommend you to try this as it is very very fattening....

 

Reflection of Life... © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner