Monday, July 13, 2009

Chilled Dragonfruit Cheesecake

Dragonfruit cheesecake before chilling


Cubed dragonfruits

You can see how the red colouring from the dragonfruit stained my hand even after washing

Dragonfruits Dragonfruits


My quest in searching for a dragonfruit cheesecake recipe in the internet only yielded 2 results. I initially have 3 dragonfruits but I have given 1 to my neighbour. So I was left with only 2. Of the 2 recipes that I found online, one of it really suit me well as it requires 2 dragonfruits. The other recipe uses not even 1/2 dragonfruits as the dragonfruits is only used to make the sauce to pour on the cheesecake.


As the name have already suggested, this is a chilled cheesecake, meaning "no-bake" cheesecake. The ingredients required in this recipe is very little and simple. It only requires biscuits crumbs, butter, sugar, cheese, whipping cream, milk , dragonfruits, water and gelatine. I already have biscuits crumbs, butter, sugar, cheese, dragonfruits, and gelatine at home. So, I just need to buy the cream and milk. When I was cutting the dragonfruits, 2 pieces seems a lot to me. I was wondering then whether they are too much for the cake. So, I just used about 1 1/2 pieces (I still think 1 1/2 are too much though).


So, I cooked the dragonfruits until they turned into something like a gummy paste, then only I pour in the milk. When the cheese mixture is ready, I divide them into 2 portions as I want to create marble effect to the cake. I pour the dragonfruits paste/puree into one portion. When I was pouring, I have a feeling that the dragonfruit portion would be very watery if I pour in all of it. So, I reserved some. It turned out quite watery, not to my surprise. I was worried that my cheesecake would not set with this condition. I also do not have enough gelatine powder and I've put in all the remaining gelatine that I have. Even before I started making the cake, I have already have a feeling that my cheesecake will not set.


You know what...? After I chilled my cheesecake overnight, it really did not set. Arghhh......... I feel very sad, upset and angry. This is the first time I have failed in making a cheesecake. I think there is something wrong with the recipe itself. I should have known something is wrong with the recipe when the lady said that this cheesecake's texture tastes a bit like cream. I thought that it is because she did not whipped the cream till it forms soft peak.
I do not know what to do with the "cheesecake". I initially wanted to eat it like mousse but since it is a huge cake, I don't think we will be able to finish it. Then, I decided to bake it. So, I bake it at 160 degree for 1 hour using bain marie technique. But the cake did not set as well. So, I baked for another 15 minutes. It still did not set. Since I was rushing out yesterday, I can't do anything more and just put it in the fridge. I spooned it out to eat this morning. Although it looks ugly, it taste good.


2 love(s):

Chiu Pin Teo said...

i think it looks very pretty! and Kevin says it's beautiful too :) when u said "the texture tastes a bit like cream", i actually salivate coz i love to eat cream so much! :)

Doryn Teo said...

If u like cream, u might like this...but its look might also put u off. U know what I mean? It looks nice in the pic but when u spoon in out, it don't look that nice...Just imagine ;O

 

Reflection of Life... © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner