Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Black Vinegar Pork Rib


Last Saturday, I cooked this black vinegar pork rib. I first tasted this dish at my mother-in-law's house. However, her version is a bit different from mine. When I first tasted this dish, I actually don't like it. When I was there, she cook up this dish quite often. I don't know how I somehow got hooked to this dish.


When I moved out, I still prepared the dish based on her version. Then one day, while I was browsing through some food blog, I found a recipe which is almost the same as the version cooked by my mother-in-law. The recipe comes with photo of the dish and it looks very delicious to me. So, I just combined the 2 recipes (from my mother-in-law and the blog) and make my own version out of it. I added some ingredients and ommitted some ingredients from the combined recipes. So, I can say that this version is actually my own...?


I have also prepared this dish during 2009 Chinese New Year when my family came down to Malacca to visit me. I told them that the dish was prepared using black vinegar. My sister thought that it is "pai quat wong".


This is the recipe for my version of black vinegar pork rib:
Ingredients:
300g pork ribs
3 tbs black vinegar
2 tbs chilli sauce
2 tbs tomato sauce
1 tbs worchestershire sauce
1 1/2 tbs water
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs cooking oil + amount required for deep-frying
Seasoning
1 tsp soda bicarbonate
2 - 3 tbs wheat flour
1 tbs sesame oil
2 tsp Chinese rice wine
dash of pepper
salt
Thickening
2 tsp corn flour
1 tbs water
Method
Marinate the pork ribs using seasoning ingredients for a few hours. Then deep-fry the pork rib. Remove the pork rib and discard the oil. Reheat the wok and add 1 tbs of oil to the wok. Add sugar and let it dissolve in the oil. Add in water. Then add in black vinegar, chilli sauce, tomato sauce and worchestershire sauce and bring to a brief boil. Then pour the pork ribs in the sauce to coat. Dish out and serve.
P/S: My mother-in-law's version consists of only sugar and black vinegar for the sauce and she do not marinate the pork ribs

2 love(s):

pik lay said...

i like this, will cook it sometimes in future.. what type of chinese rice wine did you get, where do you find it?

Doryn Teo said...

The one that I used last Saturday was glutinous rice + grapes wine, which was the leftover from my confinement period. The rice wine that I used when I cooked it during last CNY was home-made glutinous rice wine. You can used the commercially available Shao Hsing wine. You can also ommit the wine if u don't have any. Actually you can marinate the pork ribs anyway u like. U just marinate the pork ribs the normal way u marinate any meat.

 

Reflection of Life... © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner