Last Saturday, I cooked bak kut teh for dinner. This is not the first time that I cook bak kut teh. But what is so special about this is that I prepared (mix and match) the spices and herbs myself using only ingredients that I have at home.
Although I "mix and match" the herbs and spices myself, they taste just like the real bak kut teh. You can see from the pic what are the ingredients that I put in.... (red dates, wolfberries, cinnamon sticks, star anise, dang gui, dang shen, bei qi, white peppercorn and some garlic) I even marinated the pork ribs first. I marinated them with dark soy sauce, sesame oil and some salt for about 2 hours.
Initially, I boiled the spices for few hours together with the pork ribs. Then after about 2 hours, I removed the herbs and spices using a sieve. After that, I continue to cook the meat till tender. Minutes before consuming the bak kut teh, I added in pre-fried "fu chuk", birds eyes chillies and dried octopus? (Is that what they are being called?).
When hubby tasted the bak kut teh, he instantly fell for it. He said it taste so great that I can start selling the bak kut teh. Sure I won't run out of business...
4 love(s):
i think it's called dried squid..i remember the bakuteh you cooked for me when i went to Malacca. They tasted so good especially that you added the dried squid!u're so pro in mixing herbs whereas i don't even know what the ingredients are called...thumbs up for u!
This is the first time I mixed the herbs myself. The bak kut teh that I cooked for you when you were here were not mixed by me.
oo okie...too bad for me la, never try your "mix & match" before
aiyo.. i always buy the ready packet.. and they taste very good too..
Post a Comment