When I woke up this morning, the first thing I saw on my facebook wall was a crash involving Malaysia Airline. Reading the title, I thought that they have found MH370, which has previously gone missing and has yet to be found. How devastated I was when I learnt that it is another crash involving our national airline. This time, it is flight MH17. It is indeed very tragic especially when it was accidentally shot down by the rebels who thought that they were shooting at Ukrainian military transport plane instead of a civilian plane. How easy it is for lives to be lost. We must really appreciate everybody around us and be thankful for that.
This brings me to my intended posting today. Last Thursday (10 July 2014) was a very unfortunate day for me. It was like any other day with me preparing dinner for my family as I always do. However, in the midst of dinner preparation, the pressure cooker suddenly 'exploded'. The next thing I knew, I was lying there on the floor unable to move. I can't remember whether I lose consciousness or not. Everything was very blurred and surreal. I suffered short-term memory loss. I didn't know why I was lying there or what had happened. I can't remember what day, what month or what year it was. My mind was like blank. I can't recall anything from that day, or the day before or anything prior to that. I can't stand up on my own or even with support. My neighbours who heard the 'explosion' came to my aid. Luckily Cheryl is able to open the door for them. In between blurriness, I know I was being carried to the sofa. But I don't know how I ended up in the car. I think I was being carried to the car. But I remember repeatedly asking whether or not I am dreaming while inside the car. When we reached the hospital, I was also not sure how I ended up in the ER; whether I was being carried or wheeled in? Towards almost the end of the day, I regained some memory, although still very sketchy. I slowly remember things from the past. But there were still blanks to be filled especially the details of what had happened.
This is what I remember. I had done my cooking and was just waiting for the soup to be ready. It has been cooked for roughly 20 minutes at 50kPa (low pressure) and it was about time to turn off the flame. I was walking towards the wet kitchen to turn off the flame when it happened. Before I managed to do that, the content of the pressure cooker started to spray out. The whole pot flew up and its content were being sprayed to the whole kitchen. I felt my legs were burning. The floor was very sticky and oily. I fell down and had a very huge swelling on my head. I was in pain. The swelling on my head was as big as my palm size. I might have hurt my pelvic bones as it was and still is very painful. My whole body aches. The feeling is like what you would feel the next day after you have done very rigorous exercise without warming up. My head feels very heavy and at times are like spinning. I can't move freely due to the injury on my pelvic bones and there are burns on my legs. The wound on my legs are getting worst and I went for follow-up treatment today. The doctor gave me antibiotic. I was told that I have wound infection. Thankfully, my waist and my pelvic bones are getting better thanks to dear hubby who diligently massage me everyday. The swelling on my head is also getting smaller although it is still big by my standard.
While I was in the ER on the day of the incident, I was half-conscious and everything was very blurred. When I went for my follow-up treatment today, the registration clerk told me that I was unable to give her any information when I was sent in last Thursday. I was really weak then. I remembered nurse and medical officer bombarded me with questions but I was unable to make out what were their questions. I remembered I was told that they will be doing CT scan on my head, ECG and blood test. However, I only have very faint memory when all these were done. I was not fully conscious then.
The kitchen was in a mess. There were broken plates, broken parts of the pressure cooker, broken hob's pan support and sticky mess all over the place. There are now a small crack on my floor. I think something might have shot up to the ceiling as the downlight holder (is it what you called the cone shape thingy?) fell down and it is no longer able to be fixed back. There is a hole there and we are able to see all the wiring hidden on top of the plaster ceiling. Each time we tried to fix it back, it will come falling down soon after. Two of the legs of the pan support for our hob had also broken in the incident. We sent it for soldering and now it looks very ugly. You wouldn't be able to imagine the level of mess it created. Dear hubby tried to clean the kitchen till midnight and it was only partially cleaned. He have to continue with the cleaning on Friday morning. It is impossible to be wiped. Dear hubby resorted to use hose to spray the whole kitchen. End up, my cabinets were soaked with water and the woods expanded.
This is not the first time I am using a pressure cooker. I have been very careful in using it and I always double or triple check to ensure that it is properly locked and secured. I also ensured that the content never exceed the maximum limit. When we arrived home from the hospital (I told the doctor I don't feel comfortable staying in the ward), we saw the broken handle, indicator rod and pressure regulator few feet away from the hob. The pressure cooker also was few feet away from the hob in a horizontal position.
In the horrifying incident, the pot flew up and in the process breaking the hob's pan support and then landed few feet away. My previous thought was that the lid never flew up but I have since think that it is untrue. When we saw the pressure cooker, the lid was intact and hubby was unable to open the lid. So that was why I thought the lid never flew up. I was told by dear hubby who did the cleaning that there were chunks of pork ribs and whole piece of pig tripe around the kitchen. I can deduced from here that the lid had in fact flew up and then fell down hard on the pot again causing it to be in intact position. If not, how would all these chunky pieces lied around the kitchen? The next morning, I asked dear hubby to apply some force to open the lid as the position of the rubber gasket had run, which I think had caused the lid to stuck to the pot. He managed to open the lid. There were still few pieces of pork ribs in the pot.
Despite all that had happened, I am very thankful that the girls were not injured. But they were quite traumatised by it. It could have been worst. Luckily they were all in the living room watching cartoon when it happened. They just came rushing in and stop at the dry kitchen when they heard the 'explosion'. I was told that the 2 younger ones were crying and screaming and that they saw smoke everywhere and me slumped down on the floor. Such a sorry sight for them to watch....
This is what I remember. I had done my cooking and was just waiting for the soup to be ready. It has been cooked for roughly 20 minutes at 50kPa (low pressure) and it was about time to turn off the flame. I was walking towards the wet kitchen to turn off the flame when it happened. Before I managed to do that, the content of the pressure cooker started to spray out. The whole pot flew up and its content were being sprayed to the whole kitchen. I felt my legs were burning. The floor was very sticky and oily. I fell down and had a very huge swelling on my head. I was in pain. The swelling on my head was as big as my palm size. I might have hurt my pelvic bones as it was and still is very painful. My whole body aches. The feeling is like what you would feel the next day after you have done very rigorous exercise without warming up. My head feels very heavy and at times are like spinning. I can't move freely due to the injury on my pelvic bones and there are burns on my legs. The wound on my legs are getting worst and I went for follow-up treatment today. The doctor gave me antibiotic. I was told that I have wound infection. Thankfully, my waist and my pelvic bones are getting better thanks to dear hubby who diligently massage me everyday. The swelling on my head is also getting smaller although it is still big by my standard.
While I was in the ER on the day of the incident, I was half-conscious and everything was very blurred. When I went for my follow-up treatment today, the registration clerk told me that I was unable to give her any information when I was sent in last Thursday. I was really weak then. I remembered nurse and medical officer bombarded me with questions but I was unable to make out what were their questions. I remembered I was told that they will be doing CT scan on my head, ECG and blood test. However, I only have very faint memory when all these were done. I was not fully conscious then.
This is not the first time I am using a pressure cooker. I have been very careful in using it and I always double or triple check to ensure that it is properly locked and secured. I also ensured that the content never exceed the maximum limit. When we arrived home from the hospital (I told the doctor I don't feel comfortable staying in the ward), we saw the broken handle, indicator rod and pressure regulator few feet away from the hob. The pressure cooker also was few feet away from the hob in a horizontal position.
In the horrifying incident, the pot flew up and in the process breaking the hob's pan support and then landed few feet away. My previous thought was that the lid never flew up but I have since think that it is untrue. When we saw the pressure cooker, the lid was intact and hubby was unable to open the lid. So that was why I thought the lid never flew up. I was told by dear hubby who did the cleaning that there were chunks of pork ribs and whole piece of pig tripe around the kitchen. I can deduced from here that the lid had in fact flew up and then fell down hard on the pot again causing it to be in intact position. If not, how would all these chunky pieces lied around the kitchen? The next morning, I asked dear hubby to apply some force to open the lid as the position of the rubber gasket had run, which I think had caused the lid to stuck to the pot. He managed to open the lid. There were still few pieces of pork ribs in the pot.
Despite all that had happened, I am very thankful that the girls were not injured. But they were quite traumatised by it. It could have been worst. Luckily they were all in the living room watching cartoon when it happened. They just came rushing in and stop at the dry kitchen when they heard the 'explosion'. I was told that the 2 younger ones were crying and screaming and that they saw smoke everywhere and me slumped down on the floor. Such a sorry sight for them to watch....
0 love(s):
Post a Comment