I made steamed yam cake last week. This is either the 3rd or 4th time that I have made this cake. The taste was nice and texture was a bit on the hard side. But my neighbour said she likes it this way. It is not hard as for "HARD" but only not that soft. I also think the texture is acceptable. This time around, I use lesser ingredients. I only use yam, dried shrimps, shallots, rice flour and seasonings. I have ommited meat. But I put in lots and lots of yam. Therefore, the cake is very frangrant. Most of the time, the steamed yam cake that is commercially available or prepared by other people has lesser yam and more flour. But the one that I made this time has more yam than flour. As such, it is much yummier....We finished the cake within 2 days.
Recipe for Steamed Yam Cake
450g yam, diced
250g rice flour60g dried shrimps
1 tbsp five-spice powder
1 tbsp white pepper
3 cups water
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp sugar
7 pips shallots
3 tbsp oil
Dash of dark soy sauce
Method
Heat oil in wok and saute shallots. Remove shallots and leave oil in wok. Put dried shrimps in the wok and saute. Remove 1/2 amount of dried shrimps and add in 1/2 amount of sauted shallots in wok. Add yam and stir-fry for 1 minutes. Add 1 cup of water into the wok. Let it boil. In the meantime, add remaining water into the flour and mix thoroughly. Add the batter into the wok and add in all the seasonings and dark soy sauce. Cook till the batter is a bit thicker. Then scoope the batter into a pre-greased tray (I used a 26cm tray). Steam the cake for approximately 1 hour, till it is set and firm. Then garnish with the remaining sauted shallots and dried shrimps.
2 love(s):
i might try cooking it one day, looks good
I will surely try when I got my kitchen. :)
Post a Comment