Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Homemade Fish Sauce

I was quite busy during the past few weeks. I have many interesting things to share but was unable to do so. I finally have some time to do it today. During early of November, I tried cooking a large batch of spicy sauce which I intend to use to make my own grilled fish/ikan bakar. This is the first time I tried making this kind of sauce without referring to any recipes and to my delight, it turns out great. I stored them into few small containers and put them in the freezer.




I tried my hand on grilling fish for the first time using the homemade sauce. What I did was I used aluminium foil to wrap the stingray. Before I put the fish on the aluminum foil, I scooped a spoonful of the home-prepared sauce on the foil. Then only I placed the fish on top of the sauce. I poured in all the remaining sauce on top of the fish and then wrapped the fish with the foil. But I had trouble with the grilling process. Maybe the foil is too thick or because of other reason, the fish is still not fully cooked after 45 minutes. Since we are already very hungry, so I decided to remove the fish from the oven an just steam it instead. We are able to enjoy the fish after 10 minutes of steaming. I squeezed some lime juice on the grilled/steamed? stingray before serving it. Despite all the trouble, we really enjoyed eating the fish. The sauce is just sooo yummy!
:)
Since I still have the sauce in the freezer, I tried it on a dory fish fillet after 2 weeks. This time around, I just steamed the fish for about 7 minutes. I think I prefer steaming to other method as it is hassle-free and healthy. It turned out just as yummy....

3 love(s):

Chiu Pin Teo said...

what's that yellow thing on top? the sauce looks like mom's, thick and flavoury :)

Doryn Teo said...

Those were ginger slices. Actually, the ginger was for another dish and since I have additional ginger left, I don't want to waste it. So just put it in this dish as well. It doesnt' alter the taste though.

Actually this is nothing like mum's. This is made of dried chillies, wild ginger bud,ginger, turmeric, garlic, shallots,lemon grass, tamarind paste, lime and some sugar. I brought back a bottle for mum. Dad said it taste like tomyam.

Chiu Pin Teo said...

so much ingredients!

 

Reflection of Life... © 2008. Design By: SkinCorner